Please also see Kit Mead's fantastic Autism Resources page.
- Ada Hoffman created a ranked index of their Autistic Book Party reviews
- ASAN Pittsburgh's The Autistic Library is a list of books about autism that are not deficit-based
- Be Different by John Elder Robison
- Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammett
- Living Independently on the Autism Spectrum by Lynne Soraya
- Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
- Loud Hands: Autistic People Speaking Edited by Julia Bascom
- Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate by Cynthia Kim
- No You Don't: Essays from an Unstrange Mind by Sparrow Rose Jones
- The Real Experts: Readings for Parents of Autistic Children Edited by Michelle Sutton
- Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin
- Typed Words, Loud Voices eds, Amy Sequenzia, Elizabeth J. Grace, Melanie Yergeau
- The Uncharted Path by Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg
- What Every Autistic Girl Wishes Her Parents Knew, edited by Emily Paige Ballou, Kristina Thomas, and Sharon DaVanport
- Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum by Stephen Shore
- The Autistic Spectrum: A Parents' Guide to Understanding and Helping Your Child by Lorna Wing
- Coloring Outside Autism's Lines: 50+ Activities, Adventures, and Celebrations for Families with Children with Autism by Susan Walton
- Managing Meltdowns: Using the S.C.A.R.E.D. Calming Technique With Children and Adults With Autism by Deb Lipsky
- Thinking Person's Guide to Autism eds. Shannon Des Roches Rosa, Jennifer Byde Myers, Liz Ditz, Emily Willingham, and Carol Greenburg
- Uniquely Human by Barry Prizant
- A History of Autism: Conversations with the Pioneers by Adam Feinstein
- NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman
- Not Even Wrong by Paul Collins
- Unstrange Minds by Roy Richard Grinker
- A is for "All Aboard" by Paula Kluth and Victoria Kluth
- All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome by Kathy Hoopman
- Disability in KidLit's Autism on the Page
- Janine by Mary Cocca-Leffler
- Why Johnny Doesn't Flap (NT is OK!) by Clay and Gail Morton
- The Anti-Romantic Child by Priscilla Gilman
- Gravity Pulls You In: Perspectives on Parenting Children on the Autism Spectrum, eds. Kyra Anderson and Vicki Forman
- Making Peace With Autism by Susan Senator
- My Baby Rides the Short Bus, eds. Yantra Bertelli, Jen Silverman, and Sarah Talbot
- Raising Cubby by John Elder Robison
- A Regular Guy: Growing Up With Autism by Laura Shumaker
- My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete and Ryan Elizabeth Peete
- Ian's Walk by Laurie Lears
- Andy and His Yellow Frisbee by Mary Thompson
- Movement by Nancy Fulda
- On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
- The Real Boy by Anne Ursu
- Touch of Tides by Luna Lindsey
We appreciate movies in which autistic people are more than catalysts for the non-autistic characters' self-discovery arcs. Please keep this in mind when watching the following movies about autistic people:
- Citizen Autistic
- Loving Lampposts
- Mozart and the Whale
- Rain Man
- Temple Grandin
- Wretches and Jabberers
- Institute for Human Centered Design: www.adaptenv.org
- PEAT: Partnership on Employment and Accessible Technology: www.peatworks.org
- Amythest Schaber: Neurowonderful: www.youtube.com/user/neurowonderful
- Asperger Experts: www.aspergerexperts.com
- The Autism Acceptance Project: www.taaproject.com
- AutismAsperger.net: Information on Autism and Asperger's from Stephen Shore: AutismAsperger.net
- The Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN): www.autisticadvocacy.org
The Autistic Self Advocacy Network seeks to advance the principles of the disability rights movement in the world of autism.
- Disability.gov: www.disability.gov
Connecting the Disability Community to Information and Opportunities.
- Disability Visibility Project: disabilityvisibilityproject.com
- Neurodiversity.com archive: www.neurodiversity.com
- NOS Magazine: nosmag.org
- The Autistic Self Advocacy Policy Center: autisticadvocacy.org/policy
- The Autism Wars: theautismwars.blogspot.com
- The Harriet Tubman Collective: www.facebook.com/HTCollective
- Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund: dredf.org
- The Lanterman Developmental Disabilities Services Act: lanterman.org/lanterman_act
- National Center on Criminal Justice and Disability, from The Arc: www.thearc.org/NCCJD
- Open Society: Disability Rights: www.opensocietyfoundations.org/topics/disability-rights
- Self Advocates Becoming Empowered (SABE): www.sabeusa.org
- Special Education Advisor www.
An IEP and special education social network
- The Social Security and Disability Resource Center: www.ssdrc.com
- TASH: www.tash.org
Equity, opportunities, and inclusion for people with disabilities since 1975.
- Wrightslaw: www.wrightslaw.com
Accurate, reliable information about special education law, education law, and advocacy for children with disabilities.
- Yellow Pages for Kids With Disabilities: www.yellowpagesforkids.com
A Wrightslaw site where you can search for disability-related resources by state.
- The Art of Autism: www.whe-art-of-autism.com
- Artists and Autism: www.facebook.com/ArtistsandAutism
- Henny Kupferstein: hennyk.com/autism-and-perfect-pitch
- VSA: The International Organization on Arts and Disability: www.vsarts.org
- Appcessible.org: www.appcessible.org/apps
- Assistiveware's Blog: www.assistiveware.com/blogs
- DART: Development Autism Research Technology at the University of Edinburgh: www.dart.ed.ac.uk
- Everyone Communicates: everyonecommunicates.org
- The Family Center on Technology and Disability: www.fctd.info
- Geek SLP: www.geekslp.com
- iPads: Near-Miracles for Kids With Autism: www.thinkingautismguide.com/2010/11/ipads-near-miracles-for-kids-with.html
- Open Autism Software: www.cs.uiowa.edu/~hourcade/projects/asd
- PrAACtical AAC: praacticalaac.org
- Speech-Language Pathology Sharing: slpsharing.com
- Squidalicious.com iPads and Autism resouce page: www.squidalicious.com/p/ipads-and-autism.html
- Tech in Special Ed: techinspecialed.com
- Uncommon Sense: niederfamily.blogspot.co.il
- VoiceOptions.org (California): voiceoptions.org
- AbilityPath: Disable Bullying: www.abilitypath.org/areas-of-development/learning--schools/bullying
- End the Bullying: Support and Advocacy for Bullied Children and Their Families: endthebullying.wordpress.com
- Anti-Filicide Toolkit from The Autistic Self-Advocacy Network: autisticadvocacy.org/anti-filicide/
- Emergency Resources for Autistics and Parents/Professionals/Community: tool-kit-autistic-alternative.blogspot.com/p/emergency-resources-for-autistics-and.html
- Mental Health Autism Safety Plan: mhautism.coventry.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/MHAutism-Safety-Plan-.pdf
- Parenting Kids With Disabilities: How to Get Through Tough Times: www.blogher.com/parenting-kids-disabilities-through-toughest-times
- Suicide.org: www.Suicide.org
- Archive.autistics.org: The real voice of autism
- Aspies Central: www.aspiescentral.com
Community for Asperger's, Autism, and Associates
- Autism Women's Network: www.autismwomensnetwork.org
Provides effective supports to autistic females of all ages through a sense of community, advocacy and resources.
- The Autistic Self-Advocacy Network's Welcome to the Autism Community: autisticadvocacy.org/2014/02/welcome-to-the-autistic-community
- Hopeful Parents: www.hopefulparents.org
Grassroots support for parents of children with special needs.
- Ollibean: ollibean.com
A dynamic community of parents, families, and advocates working together for a more socially just, accessible and inclusive world.
- Respectfully Connected: respectfullyconnected.comA group blogging project celebrating neurodiversity in families.
- WrongPlanet.net: Online Asperger's resources and community. www.wrongplanet.net
- The Learning Kaleidoscope: thelearningkaleidoscope.wordpress.com
- Why Autistic Students Need Autistic Role Models (at TPGA): www.thinkingautismguide.com/2012/08/why-autistic-students-need-autistic.html
- APSE: www.apse.org
APSE is a growing national non-profit membership organization, founded in 1988 as the Association for Persons in Supported Employment, now known as APSE.
- Specialisterne: specialistpeople.com/specialisterne
- Autismo, Liberacion y Orgullo: autismoliberacionyorgullo.com
- Comunidades Inclusivas: www.comunidadesinclusivas.org
- Organization for Autism Research: Spanish Resources: www.researchautism.org/resources/reading/SpanishGuides.asp
- AASPIRE's Primary Care Resources for Adults on the Autism Spectrum and their Primary Care Providers: autismandhealth.org
- National Autistic Society Hospital Support Health Care "Passports": www.autism.org.uk/about/health/hospital-passport
- Supported Health Care Decision-Making: odpc.ucsf.edu/supported-health-care-decision-making
- Olmstead: Community Integration for Everyone: www.ada.gov/olmstead/olmstead_about.htm
- Successful Community Living for People With Developmental Disabilities: www.thinkingautismguide.com/2016/02/successful-community-living-for-people.html
- You CAN Choose Where You Want to Live, If You Have Autism: www.squidalicious.com/2016/09/you-can-choose-where-you-want-to-live.html
- Paula Kluth: www.paulakluth.com
Toward more inclusive classrooms and communities.
- Real Social Skills: realsocialskills.org
- Think Inclusive: www.thinkinclusive.us
- Think Inclusive: 100 links to the best inclusion related articles, videos and media on the web: www.thinkinclusive.us/the-best-inclusive-education-links-100-links-to-the-best-inclusion-related-articles-videos-and-media-on-the-web/
- Intersected: intersecteddisability.blogspot.com
- Twainbow: www.twainbow.org
- Friendship Circle: www.friendshipcircle.com Each independent Friendship Circle is operated by its local Chabad Lubavitch Center, and entirely supported by each local community to benefit local children with special needs.
- Matan: www.matankids.org Jewish communities that are inclusive by design
- Snappin' Ministries: www.snappin.org
We plug parents into a wide variety of financial, spiritual respite and social resources.
- Dennis Debbaudt's Autism Risk Management: www.autismriskmanagement.com
- MedicAlert: www.medicalert.org
- Oneida Medical Jewelry: www.oneida-medical-jewelry.com
- SafetyTat: www.safetytat.com
- Why Police Crisis/Disability Training Is Not The Answer: poormagazine.org/node/5510
- Cracking the Enigma: crackingtheenigma.blogspot.com.au
- Disabilty Studies Quarterly: www.dsq-sds.org
- LeftBrainRightBrain: leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk
- Research Autism: researchautism.net
- Spectrum Magazine: spectrumnews.org
- The Birds and the Bees: Support for teaching human sexuality to students with special needs: asdsexed.org
- Diverse City Press DVDs: diverse-city.com/online-store-2/dvds
- Our Whole Lives: Sexuality Education: www.uua.org/re/owl
- Affordable Weighted Blankets: affordableweightedblankets.com
- Beyond Play: www.beyondplay.com
Early intervention products for young children with special needs.
- Kid Companions Chewelry: kidcompanions.com
- Office Playground www.officeplayground.com
Source for stim toys
- PECS for All: www.pecsforall.com
Free visual supports you can make for your child.
- Stimtastic: www.stimtastic.co
Affordable stim toys, chewable jewelry, and fidgets.
- National Resource Center for Supported Decision Making: supporteddecisionmaking.org
- Canine Companions for Independence: www.cci.org
- Autism Service Dogs of America: autismservicedogsofamerica.com
- North Star Dogs: http://www.northstardogs.com
- National Service Dogs: www.nsd.on.ca
- 4 Paws for Ability: www.4pawsforability.org
- NQ Community (Closed Facebook group for autistic transgender people): www.facebook.com/groups/NQcommunity
- Planet Transgender: planettransgender.com
- Queerability: queerability.tumblr.com
- UCSF Center of Excellence for Transgender Health: transhealth.ucsf.edu
- Autisticmotherland: autisticmotherland.com
- Sonia Boué: soniaboue.wordpress.com
- Melody Latimer, ASParenting: www.asparenting.com
- Morénike Onaiwu: whoneedsnormalcy.blogspot.com
- John Elder Robison: jerobison.blogspot.com
- Paula C. Durbin-Westby: paulacdurbinwestbyautisticblog.blogspot.com
- Jean Winegardner: stimeyland.com
- Mel Baggs: withasmoothroundstone.tumblr.com
- Julia Bascom: juststimming.wordpress.com
- Corina Becker: nostereotypeshere.blogspot.com
- The Black Autist (Pharaoh Inkabuss): blackautist.tumblr.com
- Emily Brooks: www.emilybrooks.com
- Lydia Brown: autistichoya.com
- Chavisory: chavisory.wordpress.com
- Matt at Dude, I'm an Aspie: dudeimanaspie.blogspot.com
- Karla Fisher: Karla's ASD Page (on Facebook)
- Finn Gardiner: expectedly.org/blog
- Patricia George: www.persnicketypatricia.ca/autisticme
- Timotheus "Pharoah" Gordon/The Black Autist: blackautist.tumblr.com
- Elizabeth J (Ibby) Grace: tinygracenotes.blogspot.com
- Kris Guin: kris-guin.tumblr.com
- Erin Human: eisforerin.com
- Sparrow Rose Jones: unstrangemind.wordpress.com
- M. Kelter: theinvisiblestrings.com
- Kirsten Lindsmith: kirstenlindsmith.wordpress.com
- Savannah Logdson-Breakstone: crackedmirrorinshalott.wordpress.com
- Kit Mead: kpagination.wordpress.com
- Cynthia Kim, Musings of an Aspie: musingsofanaspie.com
- Lindsey Nebeker at Naked Brain Ink: www.nakedbrainink.com
- Ari Ne'eman: arineeman.com
- Rory Patton: springingtiger.wordpress.com
- Square 8: aspergersquare8.blogspot.com
- Larkin Taylor-Parker: autisticfuture.com
- Amanda Forest Vivian: adeepercountry.blogspot.com
- Zoe: illusionofcompetence.blogspot.com
- Steve Silberman: stevesilberman.com
- Diary of a Mom: adiaryofamom.com
- Mama Be Good: mamabegood.blogspot.com
- Mir Kamin: wouldashoulda.com
- Jennifer Byde Myers: Into the Woods, Living Deliberately: www.jennyalice.com
- Deanna Niles: travelingmonkeys.org
- Jamie Pacton: www.jamiepacton.com
- Shannon Des Roches Rosa
- Squidalicious: www.squidalicious.com
- BlogHer contributing editor, parenting kids with special needs: www.blogher.com/blog/shannon-des-roches-rosa
- Susan Senator: www.susansenator.com
- Por Um Mundo Melhor! france-porummundomelhor.blogspot.com
- Autism Society of Edmonton Area www.autismedmonton.org
ASEA helps families and communities embrace and support people on the autism spectrum throughout their lives.
- British Columbia
- ASAN Vancouver asanvancouver.tumblr.com
- Student Services: Supporting Inclusive Schools www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/specedu/aut/index.html
- Kerry's Place Autism Services www.kerrysplace.org/Public/Home.aspx
Kerry’s Place Autism Services (KPAS) has been committed to enhancing the quality of life of individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) for over 35 years through innovative personalized supports, expertise, collaboration and advocacy.
- Fundación P.I.P. www.fundacionpip.org
Reconocer la semejanza nos permite convivir y lograr la armonía - Recognizing our similarities lets us live together in harmony.
- The Veruschka Foundation: theveruschkafoundation.org/our-story
- Autism New Zealand www.autismnz.org.nz
Provides support, training, advocacy, resources, and information on Autism Spectrum disorders including Aspergers Syndrome.
- Dimensions: www.dimensions-uk.org
Dimensions supports people with learning disabilities and autism to live the life they want. We now support 2,500 people and their families across England and South Wales.
- Autism Society of Alabama www.autism-alabama.org
To improve services for persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their families through education and advocacy.
- Grupo de Apoyo Para Latinos con Autismo (GALA) www.arizonagala.org
GALA's mission is to serve and support minority individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. GALA's main focus is on the Hispanic/Latino autism community in Arizona, with an emphasis on providing educational information, quality services and valuable resources in Spanish.
- Lauren’s Institute for Education (L.I.F.E.) www.laurensinstitute.org
A special place for developmentally disabled children. We offer a variety of therapies that nurture each individual child's overall growth to improve their quality of life and the lives of their family members.
- California (Northern)
- AbleCloset: www.ablecloset.com
Providing children with special needs a resource for borrowing needed equipment.
- The ARC of San Francisco: www.thearcsf.org
The Resource for People With Developmental Disabilities.
- Bay Area Mocha Autism Network: www.facebook.com/pages/Bay-Area-Mocha-Autism-Network-BAMAN/150686314962830
A project motivated by love and fueled by OUR beautiful children on the autism spectrum.
- Parents Helping Parents (PHP): www.php.com a parent-directed non-profit resource center offering educational programs, health related services, and support networks for children and adults with special needs.
- Peninsula Parents of Special Needs Kids: www.ppsnk.org A discussion group for parents of special needs kids in Northern California.
- SEPTAR: www.SEPTAR.org
We bring families and educators together to meet the special education needs of children in Redwood City.
- Support for Families of Children With Disabilities: www.supportforfamilies.org Information, education, and parent-to-parent support free of charge to families of children with any kind of disability or special health care need in San Francisco.
- California (Southern)
- San Diego County Chapter of the Autism Society of America www.sd-autism.org
- Dentistry: Greg Evans DDS and Big Grins: www.biggrinswithdrgreg.com
- ASAN Atlanta: www.facebook.com/asanatlanta
- The Autism Program of Illinois (TAP): www.theautismprogram.org
The Autism Program of Illinois (TAP) is the largest statewide network of services in the nation for individuals diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families.
- AutMont: www.autmont.com
Autism information, events, and community. Serving Montgomery County, Maryland.
- CSAAC: www.csaac.org
CSAAC’s mission is “to enable individuals with autism to reach their highest potential and contribute as confident individuals to their community.”
- Advocates for Autism of Massachusetts: www.afamaction.org/index.html
- HMEA: www.hmea.org Reach Out for Independence
- Community Advocates: communityadvocates.org
Supporting individuals with developmental disabilities and their families in the Kalamazoo area since 1953.
- Montana Autism Education Project: www.opi.mt.gov/users/dougdoty
The Project offers free autism training and consultation services to public schools in Montana; the Montana Education Project Blog provides news on autism research, resources and training opportunities in Montana.
- New York
- AHRC New York City: www.ahrcnyc.org
AHRC New York City, a family governed organization, is dedicated to enhancing the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
- New York Center for Autism: www.NYC4A.org
The mission of NYCA is to support the development of comprehensive, evidence-based educational services, health and community-based resources that support individuals with ASD and to coordinate and facilitate ongoing research into ASD.
- North Carolina
- Autism Society of North Carolina - Mecklenburg County Chapter: www.asncmeck.org
The Autism Society of North Carolina strives to create a community where people within the autism spectrum and their families receive respect, services, and support based on individual differences.
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network PDX: www.meetup.com/ASAN-PDX
ASAN-PDX is working to promote civil rights, services, supports, education, public understanding and acceptance of neurodiversity.
- Disability Compass: www.disabilitycompass.org
A one-stop site providing information about and direction to services, products, and special health care resources for people with disabilities in Oregon, their families and those who support them.
- Disability Rights Oregon: www.disabilityrightsoregon.org/ DRO has a unique role: to uphold the legal rights of people with disabilities.
- Portland Asperger's Network: www.aspergersnet.org
We assist families of children with Asperger's Syndrome and autism spectrum disorders.
- r.i.s.e. Center: www.orpti.org
The r.i.s.e. Center encourages, educates & empowers families to collaboratively achieve unlimited success for their children and youth with disabilities.
- Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities: www.ocdd.org
Creating change to improve the lives of Oregonians with developmental disabilities.
- Portland Autism Moms: www.facebook.com/groups/WAMmoms
- Valley Forge Educational Services: www.vfes.net
VFES is a recognized and respected provider of educational, professional, and personal solutions for families, practitioners, and organizations that need services or guidance in addressing the needs of children with learning challenges.
- Seattle Children's Autism Center: www.seattlechildrens.org/clinics-programs/autism-center