- Be Different by John Elder Robison
- Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammett
- Living Independently on the Autism Spectrum by Lynne Soraya
- Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison
- Loud Hands: Autistic People Speaking Edited by Julia Bascom
- Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate by Cynthia Kim
- No You Don't: Essays from an Unstrange Mind by Sparrow Rose Jones
- The Real Experts: Readings for Parents of Autistic Children Edited by Michelle Sutton
- Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin
- The Uncharted Path by Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg
- Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum by Stephen Shore
- The Autistic Spectrum: A Parents' Guide to Understanding and Helping Your Child by Lorna Wing
- Coloring Outside Autism's Lines: 50+ Activities, Adventures, and Celebrations for Families with Children with Autism by Susan Walton
- Managing Meltdowns: Using the S.C.A.R.E.D. Calming Technique With Children and Adults With Autism by Deb Lipsky
- Martian in the Playground: Understanding the Schoolchild with Asperger's Syndrome by Claire Sainsbury
- Thinking Person's Guide to Autism eds. Shannon Des Roches Rosa, Jennifer Byde Myers, Liz Ditz, Emily Willingham, and Carol Greenburg
- A History of Autism: Conversations with the Pioneers by Adam Feinstein
- NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman
- Not Even Wrong by Paul Collins
- Unstrange Minds by Roy Richard Grinker
- A is for "All Aboard" by Paula Kluth and Victoria Kluth
- All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome by Kathy Hoopman
- Disability in KidLit's Autism on the Page
- The Anti-Romantic Child by Priscilla Gilman
- Cowboy and Wills by Monica Holloway
- Gravity Pulls You In: Perspectives on Parenting Children on the Autism Spectrum, eds. Kyra Anderson and Vicki Forman
- Making Peace With Autism by Susan Senator
- My Baby Rides the Short Bus, eds. Yantra Bertelli, Jen Silverman, and Sarah Talbot
- A Regular Guy: Growing Up With Autism by Laura Shumaker
- My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete and Ryan Elizabeth Peete
- Ian's Walk by Laurie Lears
- Andy and His Yellow Frisbee by Mary Thompson
- Movement by Nancy Fulda
- The Real Boy by Anne Ursu
- Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman
- Touch of Tides by Luna Lindsey
We appreciate movies in which people with autism are more than catalysts for the neurotypical characters' self-discovery arcs. Please keep this in mind when watching the following movies about people with autism:
- Citizen Autistic
- Loving Lampposts
- Mozart and the Whale
- Rain Man
- Temple Grandin
- Wretches and Jabberers
- Institute for Human Centered Design: www.adaptenv.org
- The Autism Acceptance Project: www.taaproject.com
- AutismAsperger.net: Information on Autism and Asperger's from Stephen Shore: AutismAsperger.net
- Autism Society of America: www.autism-society.org
Improving the lives of all affected by autism.
- The Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN): www.autisticadvocacy.org
The Autistic Self Advocacy Network seeks to advance the principles of the disability rights movement in the world of autism.
- Best Buddies: www.bestbuddies.org/best-buddies
A global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Disability.gov: www.disability.gov
Connecting the Disability Community to Information and Opportunities.
- MyAutismTeam www.myautismteam.com A searchable database with over 30,000 providers. Parents use MyAutismTeam to exchange tips and advice about their favorite autism providers with other parents by recommending their team of providers, writing reviews of providers and adding autism-friendly businesses to the autism database.
- A Special Advocate: www.aspecialadvocate.com
- Special Education Advisor www.
An IEP and special education social network
- The Social Security and Disability Resource Center: www.ssdrc.com
- TASH: www.tash.org
Equity, opportunities, and inclusion for people with disabilities since 1975.
- Wrightslaw: www.wrightslaw.com
Accurate, reliable information about special education law, education law, and advocacy for children with disabilities.
- Yellow Pages for Kids With Disabilities: www.yellowpagesforkids.com
A Wrightslaw site where you can search for disability-related resources by state.
- Artism: The Art of Autism: artismtoday.com
- Artists and Autism: www.facebook.com/ArtistsandAutism
- Brooklyn Conservatory of Music: Music Therapy Program: www.bqcm.org/music-therapy.htm
- Developmental Rhythms: www.developmentalrhythms.com
- Online Interactive Drum Kit: www.kenbrashear.com
- VSA: The International Organization on Arts and Disability: www.vsarts.org
- DART: Development Autism Research Technology at the University of Edinburgh: www.dart.ed.ac.uk
- The Family Center on Technology and Disability: www.fctd.info
- Geek SLP: www.geekslp.com
- iPads: Near-Miracles for Kids With Autism: thinkingautismguide.blogspot.com/2010/11/ipads-near-miracles-for-kids-with.htm
- Open Autism Software: www.cs.uiowa.edu/~hourcade/projects/asd
- PrAACtical AAC: praacticalaac.org
- Speech-Language Pathology Sharing: slpsharing.com
- Squidalicious.com iPads and Autism resouce page: www.squidalicious.com/p/ipads-and-autism.html
- Tech in Special Ed: techinspecialed.com
- AbilityPath: Disable Bullying: www.abilitypath.org/areas-of-development/learning--schools/bullying
- End the Bullying: Support and Advocacy for Bullied Children and Their Families: endthebullying.wordpress.com
- Anti-Filicide Toolkit from The Autistic Self-Advocacy Network: autisticadvocacy.org/anti-filicide/
- Emergency Resources for Autistics and Parents/Professionals/Community: tool-kit-autistic-alternative.blogspot.com/p/emergency-resources-for-autistics-and.html
- Parenting Kids With Disabilities: How to Get Through Tough Times: www.blogher.com/parenting-kids-disabilities-through-toughest-times
- 5 minutes for Special Needs: www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com
Where mothers of children with special needs can find inspiration and connect.
- Aspies Central: www.aspiescentral.com
Community for Asperger's, Autism, and Associates
- Autism.About.Com: an archive of over 400 researched articles and links on every aspect of autism.
- Autism Blogs Directory: www.autismblogsdirectory.blogspot.com
We are a community; we share common bonds and common ground.
- Autism Women's Network: www.autismwomensnetwork.org
Provides effective supports to autistic females of all ages through a sense of community, advocacy and resources.
- Autistics.org: The real voice of autism.
- The Coffee Klatch: thecoffeeklatchblog.com
A cup of coffee with parents of special needs children. Meet, share, laugh and take a little time for yourself.
- Hopeful Parents: www.hopefulparents.org
Grassroots support for parents of children with special needs.
- One Place for Special Needs: www.oneplaceforspecialneeds.com
- WrongPlanet.net: Online resources and community for those with Asperger's. www.wrongplanet.net
- Adult Autism and Employment: www.dps.missouri.edu/Autism.htmlA guide for vocational rehabilitation professionals:
- APSE: www.apse.org
APSE is a growing national non-profit membership organization, founded in 1988 as the Association for Persons in Supported Employment, now known as APSE.
- The Transition Coalition www.transitioncoalition.org/transition/index.php
Mission: Providing online information, support, and professional development on topics related to the transition from school to adult life for youth with disabilities.
- Organization for Autism Research: Spanish Resources: www.researchautism.org/resources/reading/SpanishGuides.asp
- Inclusive Connections: www.inclusiveconnections.com
To further the social objective of Inclusion in our schools, spiritual and religious communities, on the playground, in the neighborhoods and in children’s everyday lives.
- Michelle Garcia Winner: www.socialthinking.com
- Paula Kluth: www.paulakluth.com
Toward more inclusive classrooms and communities.
- Diane Levinthal: Social Strides: www.socialstrides.com
Pragmatic language and social skills.
- The Talking Playhouse: www.talkingplayhouse.com
A Place for Social Learning.
- Disabilty Studies Quarterly: www.dsq-sds.org
- Shift: Journal of Alternatives: Neurodiversity and social change: www.shiftjournal.com
- Autism Hangout: www.autismhangout.com
Religion and Faith
- Blue Hijab Day: www.bluehijabday.com
Support and resources for Muslim families dealing with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Friendship Circle: www.friendshipcircle.com Each independent Friendship Circle is operated by its local Chabad Lubavitch Center, and entirely supported by each local community to benefit local children with special needs.
- Interfaith Disability Network: www.interfaithdisability.org
- Snappin' Ministries: www.snappin.org
We plug parents into a wide variety of financial, spiritual respite and social resources.
- California Peace Office Standards and Training: Autism Recognition and Response Video: senweb03.senate.ca.gov/autism/post2.htm
- Dennis Debbaudt's Autism Risk Management: www.autismriskmanagement.com
- LifeProteckt: www.lifeprotekt.com
- MedicAlert: www.medicalert.org
- Oneida Medical Jewelry: www.oneida-medical-jewelry.com
- Project Lifesaver: www.projectlifesaver.org (first-responder agency-based search and rescue system, using radio technology)
- SafetyTat: www.safetytat.com
- SPD Blogger Network: www.spdbloggernetwork.com
- Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation: www.spdfoundation.net
- The Birds and the Bees: Support for teaching human sexuality to students with special needs: asdsexed.org
- Diverse City Press DVDs: diverse-city.com/online-store-2/dvds
- American Public Media's Being: Being Autistic, Being Human: being.publicradio.org/programs/beingautistic
Paul Collins and Jennifer Elder interviewed by Krista Tippet.
- Autism: The Musical: www.AutismTheMusical.com
- Disney Channel: The Time I Realized My Brother Was Different: youtu.be/vgU-ImoAyKQ
- Forum: My Baby Rides the Short Bus: www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201003121000
Some parents of kids with disabilities say they don't want to be put on a pedestal for taking care of their children.
- NPR: Autism Gives Woman an "Alien" View of Social Brains: www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129379866
Lisa Daxer says she doesn't want a typical brain. Her autism is part of who she is.
- Radiolab: Diagnosis: The Frowners: www.radiolab.org/2008/dec/29/the-frowners Emanuel Frowner was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome as a young adult. Would it have helped or hindered him to get that diagnosis earlier in life?
- SnagFilms: Refrigerator Mothers: www.snagfilms.com/films/title/refrigerator_mothers
Mothers of Autistic children in the 50s and 60s are blamed for their child's illness.
- StoryCorps: Q and A: storycorps.org/animation/q-and-a
12-year-old Joshua Littman, who has Asperger’s syndrome, interviews his mother, Sarah.
- This American Life: Hit Me With Your Best Shot:
Dave Royko talks about the decision he and his wife faced about his autistic son's future.
- This American Life: Wary Home Companions: www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/420/neighborhood-watch
A woman goes to her neighbors with an incredible request—to help care for her son [with autism] after she dies.
- What You Ought To Know from The Brothers Winn: Autism http://www.whatyououghttoknow.com/show/?s=autism or YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL5GHMEjzt8
- Affordable Weighted Blankets: affordableweightedblankets.com
- Beyond Play: www.beyondplay.com
Early intervention products for young children with special needs.
- Kid Companions Chewelry: kidcompanions.com
- Ozmo: www.ozmofun.com
Autism toys, relaxers, and rewards.
- Office Playground www.officeplayground.com
Source for stim toys
- PECS for All: www.pecsforall.com
Free visual supports you can make for your child.
- Sure Grip Bendable Utensils: www.cooksdirect.com/product/13738/eating-aids
- Autism Games: sites.google.com/site/autismgames
- Autism Resources: autismtech.wetpaint.com
An evolving collection of technology resources to support students with Autism, Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Asperger Syndrome.
- Dynamic Therapy Associates, Inc.: www.mydynamictherapy.com
A Speech Language therapy practice which focuses on work with assistive technology.
- The Hanen Center: More Than Words: www.hanen.org/web/home/HanenPrograms/MoreThanWords/tabid/78/Default.aspx
More Than Words is a family-focused program that gives parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and related social communication difficulties, practical tools to help their children communicate.
- The Interdisciplinary Council on Developmental and Learning Disorders: www.icdl.com
A pioneer in its work to advance the identification, prevention, and treatment of developmental and learning disorders.
- The Motor Story: www.themotorstory.com
The Motor Story lists activities for children to enjoy with explanations of how these tasks nurture development.
- Rethink Autism: www.rethinkautism.com
Online behavioral instruction and support; community.
- Canine Companions for Independence: www.cci.org
- Autism Service Dogs of America: autismservicedogsofamerica.com
- Wilderwood Service Dogs: autism.wilderwood.org
- Compassionate Paws: www.compassionatepaws.org
- Highland Canine Training: www.autismassistancedog.com/index.htm
- North Star Dogs: http://www.northstardogs.com
- National Service Dogs: www.nsd.on.ca
- 4 Paws for Ability: www.4pawsforability.org
- WrongPlanet: Online resources and community for those with Asperger's:
- Autism Science Foundation's YouTube Channel:
- Por Um Mundo Melhor! france-porummundomelhor.blogspot.com
- Autism Society of Edmonton Area www.autismedmonton.org
ASEA helps families and communities embrace and support people on the autism spectrum throughout their lives.
- British Columbia
- The Developmental Disabilities Association (DDA) www.develop.bc.ca
Provides over 50 community-based programs and services for children, youths, and adults. The Developmental Disabilities Association not only strives to enable people with developmental disabilities to reach their full potential, but also is one of the largest daycare providers in the Lower Mainland
- Student Services: Supporting Inclusive Schools www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/specedu/aut/index.html
- Kerry's Place Autism Services www.kerrysplace.org/Public/Home.aspx
Kerry’s Place Autism Services (KPAS) has been committed to enhancing the quality of life of individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) for over 35 years through innovative personalized supports, expertise, collaboration and advocacy.
- Fundación P.I.P. www.fundacionpip.org
Reconocer la semejanza nos permite convivir y lograr la armonía - Recognizing our similarities lets us live together in harmony.
- Aspbrigga www.aspbriggairl.com
for Irish couples, where either partner has Asperger's.
- Aotearoa Autism www.aotearoaautism.org
To share ideas, have discussions and pool resources for those with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD, Aspergers Syndrome) and their whānau in New Zealand.
- Autism New Zealand www.autismnz.org.nz
Provides support, training, advocacy, resources, and information on Autism Spectrum disorders including Aspergers Syndrome.
- Dimensions: www.dimensions-uk.org
Dimensions supports people with learning disabilities and autism to live the life they want. We now support 2,500 people and their families across England and South Wales.
- Shut Up and Listen: www.shutupandlisten.org.uk
The only place on the radio to hear music played and presented by artists with a learning disability.
- Autism Society of Alabama www.autism-alabama.org
To improve services for persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders and their families through education and advocacy.
- Grupo de Apoyo Para Latinos con Autismo (GALA) www.arizonagala.org
GALA's mission is to serve and support minority individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. GALA's main focus is on the Hispanic/Latino autism community in Arizona, with an emphasis on providing educational information, quality services and valuable resources in Spanish.
- Lauren’s Institute for Education (L.I.F.E.) www.laurensinstitute.org
A special place for developmentally disabled children. We offer a variety of therapies that nurture each individual child's overall growth to improve their quality of life and the lives of their family members.
- California (Northern)
- AbleCloset: www.ablecloset.com
Providing children with special needs a resource for borrowing needed equipment. On Twitter @AbleCloset
- The ARC of San Francisco: www.thearcsf.org
The Resource for People With Developmental Disabilities.
- Bay Area Mocha Autism Network: www.facebook.com/pages/Bay-Area-Mocha-Autism-Network-BAMAN/150686314962830
A project motivated by love and fueled by OUR beautiful children on the autism spectrum.
- The California Collaborative for Children With Special Health Care Needs: www.lpfch.org/programs/cshcn/collaborative.html
Engaging individuals and organizations interested in advocating for a better system of care for these most vulnerable children.
- Parents Helping Parents (PHP): www.php.com a parent-directed non-profit resource center offering educational programs, health related services, and support networks for children and adults with special needs.
- Peninsula Parents of Special Needs Kids: groups.yahoo.com/group/peninsulaparentssnk A discussion group for parents of special needs kids in Northern California.
- SEPTAR: www.SEPTAR.org
We bring families and educators together to meet the special education needs of children in Redwood City.
- Support for Families of Children With Disabilities: www.supportforfamilies.orgInformation, education, and parent-to-parent support free of charge to families of children with any kind of disability or special health care need in San Francisco.
- California (Southern)
- San Diego County Chapter of the Autism Society of America www.sd-autism.org
- Dentistry: Greg Evans DDS and Big Grins: www.biggrinswithdrgreg.com
- Georgia Community Support and Solutions: www.gcsscommunity.com
Supporting People in Their community
- The Autism Program of Illinois (TAP): www.theautismprogram.org
The Autism Program of Illinois (TAP) is the largest statewide network of services in the nation for individuals diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and their families.
- AutMont: www.autmont.com
Autism information, events, and community. Serving Montgomery County, Maryland.
- B'More Abilities: www.basac.org
People of all abilities have the right to dance, move, shake, and explore their artistic potential!
- CSAAC: www.csaac.org
CSAAC’s mission is “to enable individuals with autism to reach their highest potential and contribute as confident individuals to their community.”
- Advocates for Autism of Massachusetts: www.afamaction.org/index.html
- HMEA: www.hmea.org Reach Out for Independence
- Community Advocates: communityadvocates.org
Supporting individuals with developmental disabilities and their families in the Kalamazoo area since 1953.
- Montana Autism Education Project: www.opi.mt.gov/users/dougdoty
The Project offers free autism training and consultation services to public schools in Montana; the Montana Education Project Blog provides news on autism research, resources and training opportunities in Montana.
- New York
- AHRC New York City: www.ahrcnyc.org
AHRC New York City, a family governed organization, is dedicated to enhancing the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
- New York Center for Autism: www.NYC4A.org
The mission of NYCA is to support the development of comprehensive, evidence-based educational services, health and community-based resources that support individuals with ASD and to coordinate and facilitate ongoing research into ASD.
- New York Special Needs Consulting: www.nyspecialneedsconsulting.com
We want to help all kids like we helped our own.
- North Carolina
- Autism Society of North Carolina - Mecklenburg County Chapter: www.asncmeck.org
The Autism Society of North Carolina strives to create a community where people within the autism spectrum and their families receive respect, services, and support based on individual differences.
- Autism Society of Oregon: www.oregonautism.com
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network PDX: www.meetup.com/ASAN-PDX
ASAN-PDX is working to promote civil rights, services, supports, education, public understanding and acceptance of neurodiversity.
- Disability Compass: www.disabilitycompass.org
A one-stop site providing information about and direction to services, products, and special health care resources for people with disabilities in Oregon, their families and those who support them.
- Disability Rights Oregon: www.disabilityrightsoregon.org/ DRO has a unique role: to uphold the legal rights of people with disabilities.
- Portland Asperger's Network: www.aspergersnet.org
We assist families of children with Asperger's Syndrome and autism spectrum disorders.
- r.i.s.e. Center: www.orpti.org
The r.i.s.e. Center encourages, educates & empowers families to collaboratively achieve unlimited success for their children and youth with disabilities.
- Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities: www.ocdd.org
Creating change to improve the lives of Oregonians with developmental disabilities.
- State of Oregon: LifeSpan Respite: www.oregon.gov/DHS/respite
Relief for families who are caring for someone with special needs.
- Valley Forge Educational Services: www.vfes.net
VFES is a recognized and respected provider of educational, professional, and personal solutions for families, practitioners, and organizations that need services or guidance in addressing the needs of children with learning challenges.
- South Carolina
- Lowcountry Autism Foundation, Inc. www.lowcountryautismfoundation.org
A local, volunteer based, non-profit corporation dedicated to supporting individuals and families living with autism.
- Seattle Children's Autism Center: www.seattlechildrens.org/clinics-programs/autism-center
Autistics and People With Autism
- Clay Adams: cometscorner-clay.blogspot.com
- Aspie Rhetor: aspierhetor.com
- Aspie Teacher: www.aspieteacher.com
- Amanda Baggs: ballastexistenz.autistics.org
- Julia Bascom: juststimming.wordpress.com
- Corina Becker: nostereotypeshere.blogspot.com
- Brandy at More Than a Number: shesmorethananumber.blogspot.com
- Landon Bryce at ThAutcast: thautcast.com/drupal5
- Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg: www.journeyswithautism.com
- Matt at Dude, I'm an Aspie: dudeimanaspie.blogspot.com
- Karla Fisher: Karla's ASD Page (on Facebook)
- Elizabeth J (Ibby) Grace: www.tinygracenotes.com
- LastCrazyHorn: lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com
- Lindsey Nebeker at Naked Brain Ink: www.nakedbrainink.com
- Nicole Nicholson: womanwithaspergers.com
- Rory Patton: springingtiger.wordpress.com
- John Elder Robison: jerobison.blogspot.com
- Square 8: aspergersquare8.blogspot.com
- Unstrange Mind: unstrangemind.wordpress.com
- Amanda Forest Vivian: adeepercountry.blogspot.com
- Zoe: illusionofcompetence.blogspot.com
- Liz Ditz
- Steve Silberman: /blogs.plos.org/neurotribes
- Anybody Want a Peanut? www.wantapeanut.com
- Elise Ronan, aka aspergers2mom: asd2mom.blogspot.com
- Both Hands and a Flashlight: www.bothhandsandaflashlight.com
- Kristina Chew:
- We Go With Him: autism.typepad.com/autism
- At Care2.com Causes: www.care2.com/causes/author/autismvox
- Christa Dahlstrom: hyperlexicon.blogspot.com
- Stuart Duncan: Autism From a Father's Point of View: www.stuartduncan.name
- Kitaiska Sandwich: www.kitaiskasandwich.com
- Mama Be Good: mamabegood.blogspot.com
- Meredith: The Ryan Files: notanaffliction.blogspot.com
- Mir Kamin: http://wouldashoulda.com
- Jennifer Byde Myers: Into the Woods, Living Deliberately: www.jennyalice.com
- Sarah Oriel: planetjosh.squarespace.com
- Shannon Des Roches Rosa
- Squidalicious: www.squidalicious.com
- BlogHer contributing editor, parenting kids with special needs: www.blogher.com/blog/shannon-des-roches-rosa
- Susan Senator: www.susansenator.com
- Amy Sheridan: aspergerninja.blogspot.com
- Kristin Spina: kristenspina.wordpress.com
- Squillo: confutata.wordpress.com
- The Tumultuous Truth: sharon-theawfultruth.blogspot.com
- Frances Vega-Costas: Mundo Autismo: dimensionautismo.blogspot.com
- Emily Willingham: A Life Less Ordinary: daisymayfattypants.blogspot.com
- Kim Wombles: www.scientificblogging.com/science_autism_spectrum_disorders
- The Autism Blog at Seattle Children's Hospital: theautismblog.seattlechildrens.org
- Barbara Boucher at TherExtras: www.therextras.com
- Communication Therapy: communicationtherapy.wordpress.com
- Tahrireh Bushey at Autism Games: autismgames.blogspot.com
- Jon Brock at Cracking the Enigma: crackingtheenigma.blogspot.com