|Leo playing Swapsies|
To address both areas, I've been updating our iPad Apps for Autism spreadsheet with links to iPad Fundraising & Donations, as well as Research & Education links. I've pasted in the current listings below, but will be updating and expanding the list as more resources come in -- or are brought to my attention (hint, hint).
If you want to help a child get an iPad, look through the Fundraising & Donations section for ideas on agencies that are donating iPads to kids in need, or for instructions on how to run your own fundraiser (another hint: fundraising is really easy).
If you are hitting roadblocks with insurance companies or school districts that want official research to justify getting a child an iPad, look through the Research and Education links. Though, as I've said before -- the irony in Leo's case is that he probably wouldn't have qualified for an iPad as an AAC device, since he speaks "fluent requesting" -- yet his iPad has improved not just the quality of his learning but increased his learning opportunities -- he can learn anywhere he can take his iPad
If you'd like to help out a specific children in need of iPads, consider donating to:
- Owen and Oliver are 5 year-old twins whose ASD challenges are as unique as they are. Please help them raise funds to obtain iPads.
- The Sahara's Voice iPad campaign. Her family is trying to raise funds not just for their own child, but for five other families as well.
iPad Resources - Fundraising and Donations
- Conover Mobile Technology Grant: www.conovercompany.com/grants
- Danny's Wish: How to Apply for an iPad Grant: www.dannyswish.org/news-events.cfm/id/86386
- HollyRod.org iPads for Communication campaign: www.hollyrod.org/ipads-for-communication
- iHelp for Special Needs www.ihelpforspecialneeds.com
- iPads4Autism_ie (Ireland): www.mycharity.ie/event/i_want_my_iphone_for_autism
- iPads 4U: Does your family need an iPad? a4cwsn.com/ipad2-4u/
- Squidalicious: How to Get Your Kid With Autism that Wonderful iPad: www.squidalicious.com/2010/11/how-to-get-your-kid-with-autism-that.html
- Helping autistic children with iOS devices: www.tuaw.com/2010/08/18/helping-autistic-children-with-ios-devices
- iPads for Learning - 21 steps to 1:1 success: asp-uk.secure-zone.net/v2/index.jsp?id=639/684/1625&utm_source=ipadsummary
- Learning: Is there an app for that?: Cynthia Chiong & Carly Shuler: www.joanganzcooneycenter.org/Reports-27.html
- Mobile Devices and Autism: Autism News of Orange County [PDF]: www.autismnewsoc.org/docs/AutismNewsWinter11.pdf
- Moms With Apps: Teachers Discuss iDevices in the Classroom: momswithapps.com/2010/12/21/teachers-part-ii
- SETT Framework for AAC evaluations: edweb.tusd.k12.az.us/assistive_technology/AT_SETT.htm
This article was previously published at www.squidalicious.com.